It’s my birthday month! I’ll be honest- I’m not REALLY looking forward to turning 31 on October 13th, but I do love birthdays. Cake? Presents? Crowns? Sign me up. The turning a year older part, I could do without,but whatevs.
October is a little bit tough for me… October 9th is the anniversary of my dad passing away and I’m not really a huge fan of Halloween… it kind of creeps me out! In any case, I try to focus on the positive and enjoy the “fall” until November rolls around. (THANKSGIVING! CHRISTMAS SEASON! YAY!) In the spirit of fall, I’m making my monthly list of 10 things to try in October!
10 Things to Try in October
- Buy me a birthday present! (LOL jk…or am I??) Better idea: buy YOURSELF a present in honor of my birthday! (YOU’RE WELCOME!) I haven’t even made a birthday wishlist, but I’m thinking i’ll post one next week. My friend was telling me how they got a new car for their birthday for their small business along with some trade car insurance! LUCKY! But anyway here are a few things I’m loving right now:
- Give yourself/get yourself a fall mani. I’ll definitely be GETTING myself one… I can’t paint my nails to save my LIFE. (I wish I COULD!) I love the nail varnishes of fall! Plums, burgundies, blacks, navies… I think dark nails are just so chic. A few of my faves? Butter London in Ruby Murray and Essie in Bobbing for Baubles.
- Scoop up some gold and white pumpkins from Target. I am OBSESSED with these adorable pumpkins! They make for a great tablescape and make any fall table superglam.
- Try a cape blazer. I wore one to the Bloomingdale’s accessory event I hosted last weekend, and I LOVE IT. A cape blazer is so easy and surprisingly comfortable! It felt so chic and polished and would’ve been equally amazing over a dress or paired with a boyfriend jean.
- Work on some fun DIY fall decor projects. I love DIY and don’t do NEARLY enough. I’m dying to do a glitter pinecone DIY or a gold dipped leaf DIY. Follow my FALL board on Pinterest for other great inspo!
- Toasted. Graham. Latte. Oh em gee, you guys. I tried an iced version today at Starbucks and it was… amazing. SO DELICIOUS. You need to get one. And try the S’mores Tart while you’re at it!
- Swap out your straw Panama Hat for a wide-brimmed felt fedora. Now that summer is officially over and fall is in full swing, it’s time to swap out your fave straw hat for a felt fedora. Pair them with flare jeans or your favorite fall dress and boots. I have a couple of great gray hats right now and am eyeing a maroon. (Now if only the Miami weather will cooperate and I can wear one without my hair getting sweaty!) Here are a few I’m loving:
- Get a deep burgundy lippie. I love my classic red, but in the fall, I like to mix it up and switch to a plum or deep burgundy lip. It just feels richer and more mysterious. I’m going to be trying out Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipcolor in Burgundy Blush.
- Support Breast Cancer Awareness. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and it’s the perfect time to contribute to a great cause. Whether it’s volunteering your time or buying something pink from your favorite designer that donates a portion of proceeds to research, get involved! (BTW- if you’re in Miami, stay tuned for an invite to an awesome event I’m hosting later this month benefitting Susan G. Komen!)
- Update your blanket scarf. Arguably last year’s hottest fall trend, the blanket scarf is back and better than ever. If you missed the trend last time around, make sure you grab one this time! The blanket scarf is cozy, chic and looks great with EVERYTHING. There are so many great ones on the market, and so many affordable options, you can scoop up multiples. Last year it was all about plaid; this year plaid is back, but there are great geometric options, solid colors, or Aztec prints. Here are a few to get you started: